Wednesday, January 11, 2012

To India.

IMG_1021
I’m staying with my friend and former housemate Sapan.  This is Sapan standing in front of his front door. 

IMG_1005
Today I slept in with jetlag, but Sapan took me out for lunch a place, “famous for serving street food that won’t make you sick.” 

IMG_1019
The mode of transport we’ve been using is the auto-rickshaw.  You can see the back of another from the inside of this one.  It is basically an enclosed, three-wheeled, motorbike with a bench in the backseat.

IMG_1015
The meters are sort of beautiful.

IMG_1016
IMG_1017
IMG_1018
I don’t know if drivers needed encouragement or not.  If they did, it’s working.



IMG_0976

The flight to Frankfort was mostly uneventful except for the heart stopping terror.  Perhaps I overstate the case, but the turbulence that we experienced at cruising altitude was certainly enough to give me a few moments to contemplate my own mortality in the something less than completely abstract.  Usually I ride these things out with a bit more detached amusement than I could muster this time around.

Drink service was hurriedly ended and the stewardesses rushed to strap themselves into their chairs.  The plane dipped randomly, and out the window the plane’s wings resembled more those of a flapping bird than those of the giant aluminum beast they belonged to.  There came a point when I had to look away, like I do when I’m getting a shot.

It wasn’t so bad really.  No one was crying.

IMG_0969
IMG_0966
Thanks to Quade for the ride to the airport.  Sorry I couldn’t fit you into my bag.  At least I fit you into my blog.
Love from India,
Ryan.

2 comments:

  1. How long will you be there? what's your itinerary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mostly uneventful except for the heart stopping terror." :) Glad you got there safe, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete